Gallaudet University will host an undergraduate summer research program for 10 undergraduates on accessibility and technology (REU AICT).
The program invites applications from deaf, hard of hearing and hearing undergraduates nationwide.The Accessible Communications and Information Technology (AICT) program offers summer research opportunities focused on accessible Communications and Information Technology. The goal is to improve accessibility and usability of streamed media (e.g., television programs or online lectures) for people with sensory disabilities (deaf, hard of hearing, low vision and deaf-blind).
Ten students will be selected to participate in the AICT program at the Gallaudet University. The students will work in pairs and collaborate with peers and mentors who are deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind. The teams will work together to analyze the accessibility of online media platforms. The teams will work together to develop and evaluate solutions. The students will be immersed in an unique social and research environment where they can learn sign language and use accessible technology.
You must complete the following three steps for your REU AICT application:
- Click on the “Apply” button below to submit your online application.
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Unofficial college transcript(s)
- One page research interest statement. If applicable, describe a major project you did for a course or internship.
- One letter of recommendation. Ask your recommender to email it to Dr. Kushalnagar (email@example.com)
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org a message stating that you have completed steps 1 and 2. If the form and documents are complete, you will get an acknowledgement email that your application is complete and will be reviewed.
Accepted participants get:
- $5000 stipend
- Free housing, meals and travel to Washington, DC
- Opportunity to present research at conferences
Program Information and application link:
- Duration: May 21 to July 27, 2018
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
- Application link